One of the great figureheads of New Orleans music, “Mac” Rebennack, aka Dr. John, is to be honoured with the two-CD/DVD and Blu-ray set, The Musical Mojo of Dr. John, out on 14 October. Here's John Fogerty leading the version of 'New Orleans' that features on the release, alongside performances by Bruce Springsteen, Mavis Staples and other fellow Crescent City favourites such as Cyril Neville, Irma Thomas and the late Allen Toussaint.
The all-star tribute was taped at the Saenger Theatre New Orleans in 2014 as a celebration of Dr. John's huge contribution to spreading the city's musical heritage around the world over the past six decades. Blue Note Records president and ever-in-demand producer Don Was can be seen leading the band as musical director and bassist.
"It was very moving to have all these people paying tribute to me, but I just treated it like it was another show," said Dr. John of the concert. "The whole night felt pretty special, and everyone's performance was spiritually correct."
At, 75, he has shows booked until the end of the year, the next one being at the Bedford Blues & BBQ Festival in Bedford, Texas on 4 September, and will be further honoured at the Jazz Foundation of America's A Great Night in Harlem event at the Apollo Theatre on 27 October.
The track listing for the release, which features songs either written or made popular by Dr. John, is as follows:
1. ''Right Place Wrong Time' – Dr. John and Bruce Springsteen
2. 'Blow Wind Blow' – Jason Isbell
3. 'My Indian Red' – Cyril Neville
4. 'Somebody Changed the Lock' – Anders Osborne and Bill Kreutzmann
5. 'Please Send Me Someone to Love' – Dr. John, Aaron Neville and Charles Neville
6. 'Junko Partner' – George Porter Jr. and Zigaboo Modeliste
7. 'Since I Fell for You' – Irma Thomas
8. 'Stack-A-Lee' – Tab Benoit
9. 'Life' – Allen Toussaint
10. 'Street People' – Shannon McNally
11. 'Goodnight Irene' – Dave Malone
12. 'Big Chief' – Big Chief Monk Boudreaux
1. 'Familiar Reality' – Widespread Panic and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band Horns
2. 'You Lie' – Warren Haynes
3. 'Traveling Mood' – Chuck Leavell
4. 'Back by the River' – Ryan Bingham
5. 'Let’s Make a Better World' – John Boutté
6. 'Lay My Burden Down' – Mavis Staples
7. 'New Orleans' – John Fogerty
8. 'Come Rain or Come Shine' – Dr. John and Terence Blanchard
9. 'I Walk on Guilded Splinters' – Dr. John and Sarah Morro
10. 'Such a Night' – Dr. John and Sarah Morrow